Monday, November 1, 2010

Famly

Family is very important in the Bible, and, as this year’s Thanksgiving holiday approaches, I am especially thoughtful about how important my family is to me. These thoughts have been in my head for many years and I want to take a moment to share them with you today.

Alfred Jackson (Papa) Dalton – died in 1951 at age 63 of a cerebral hemorrhage when I was 7. He was a funeral director and, later, a coffin salesman. From him I learned love of grandchildren and family along with the wisdom of planning.

Effie Belle Johnson (Mama) Dalton – died in 1990 at age 97. From her, I learned the joy of Christian music and I can still hear her singing “Glory, Glory, Hallelujah”.

Frank Lambert (Grandpa) Hinton – died in 1973 at age 82. From him, I learned how a truly peaceful man can live – with a sense of humor. I can’t find anyone who ever saw him mad. I also learned a lot about business and finances.

Ellora Helphenstine (Grandma) Hinton – died in 1997 at age 107. From her, I learned a lot about true service to others and hard work – as well as honesty and integrity and faith.

Julia Lafell (e) Dalton Hinton – died in 1997 (9 days before Grandma) at age 75. From mom, I learned a lot about appreciation for literature, including poetry, and service to others. Mom was truly at her very best when someone needed help – whether she knew them or not.

Eugene Fay Hinton – died in 2003 at age 85. From dad, I learned a lot about work ethics. Seeing him put himself out to help those less fortunate, then not even charging them for the work made a lasting impression.

Nancy Gayle Hinton Buie – the middle child. She has always been there for me to discuss our most intimate details – about our childhood and adulthood experiences. Her openness and faith are exemplary. She made an excellent choice for a husband, James C. Buie, who has been there for her and his family through their developing years – with faith and diligence.

Janet Faye Hinton Fitzgerald – “Baby Faye-Faye” – Okay, she was dad’s favorite, but she is dear to us, too. She was there to help clean my apartment during my bachelor days which is just one example of how she learned the attitude of “service to others” from mom. In 1980, she made an excellent decision to marry Bill Fitzgerald who has been a perfect mate for her. Their friendship is an ideal example for a marriage.

Monica Hope Hinton – Some may ask why I am including a child who died before she was born, in 1969. Quite simply, from her (we did not officially name her, but chose this name many years later) I learned the importance of the unborn child. Her death heightened my awareness of abortion issues.

Janis Renee Hinton Proctor – What can I say? She is absolutely, from my prejudiced view, the most beautiful daughter ever and has my utmost admiration for her choice of a husband, for her intelligence, for her organizational skills and for her wonderful child-rearing skills.

Brian Wayne Hinton – Again, what can I say? Brian has surpassed any expectations I could have ever had for him. His intelligence, business and organizational skills are as exemplary as his sister’s. His honesty and integrity are beyond reproach. And, his care for his sons is beyond anything I could have ever wished. And, he has grown into an extremely handsome man.

Juanita Ann Smith Hinton – Last and most. This is the only member of my family that I chose to invite into it. That was clearly the best decision I have made in my lifetime. She has been stretched beyond her wildest expectations. She raised two children with care and concern that is immeasurable. We are still learning how to live together, and though the first years were great, our current lives together are wonderful beyond belief.

No comments:

Post a Comment